Search This Blog

Saturday 17 June 2017

"The Mystery Hidden... the Wisdom of God."

"I ask for the grace to prayer and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion, and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, arrogance, compulsive behaviour, cynicism, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Ephesians 3:7-13
7 Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the gift of God’s grace that was given to me by the working of his power. 8Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, 9and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; 10so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him. 13I pray therefore that you may not lose heart over my sufferings for you; they are your glory.


1) "...the gift of God's grace;" "...the boundless riches of Christ;" "...the mystery hidden for ages;" "...the wisdom of God;"  "... rich variety;" "...eternal purpose;" "...they are your glory;"


2) I fear we have cheapened the riches, and culled the variety of the wisdom of God in the traditions that the church has passed on.  Paul waxes poetic whenever he talks about "the boundless riches of Christ" and "the eternal purpose" of God and what gets handed on is black and white, right and wrong, do this, don't do that, believe this or go to hell, though shalt not... none of that sounds like "boundless riches," or "rich variety,"  let alone "mystery" or "wisdom."  What Paul describes sounds like something I might want to participate in. And to remember that he writes all this from prison... granted, a relatively comfortable house arrest, rather than an institution of walls, gates, locks and surveillance... he has ample access to parchment and pen... but his life is threatened because of what he feels compelled to share and yet he continues to share it and takes joy in sharing them message.  What if what Paul is describing really is as he describes it?  What is life in loving community compared to the violent, competitive, precarious culture of first century Rome?  What is life in loving community compared to the violent, competitive, consumptive culture of today?  What is life like when you look into the eyes of a neighbour and see a brother/sister/lover made in the same image and likeness of God as you, compared to seeing an alien, a stranger, an enemy?  "boundless riches of Christ... the wisdom of God in its rich variety... they are your glory."


3) What is the invitation I all this?  To witness the boundless riches of Christ in my neighbours, my friends, my lovers.


"Holy One, reveal to us your eternal purpose."


Breathprayer: "The mystery hidden... the wisdom of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment