Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 September 2017

"The Love of God... in Christ Jesus."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, and compassion.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, arrogance, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.


Romans 8:37-39
37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.


1) "More than conquerors;" "...him who loved us;" "...nor anything else...will be able to separate us from the love of God;" "...nor anything else in all creation;" "...the love of God in Christ;" "...more than conquerors;" "...through him who loved us;"


2) There simply isn't anything that can separate us from the love of God through Christ.  Paul's eloquent conclusion to a rich chapter.  Do we believe this?  Are we convinced?  "...neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God."  Are we always convinced?  While nothing separates us from the love of God... something does separate us from the conviction that nothing separates us from the love of God!  We do not understand ourselves!  What is required for conviction? 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To hand over assent.  To let ourselves be convinced.  To let go of resistance to the absolute inseparability of us from God's love through Christ Jesus.  To practice sitting in the conviction.  Just sit in the conviction that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor power, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.


"I ask for the grace of conviction.  I ask to be able to rest in that conviction.  I ask for the conviction to fill me from my toes to the top of my head and to flow out my fingertips.  I ask that my thoughts, words and actions be motivated by nothing but this conviction."


Breathprayer: "The love of God... in Christ Jesus."



No comments:

Post a Comment