Search This Blog

Monday 11 December 2017

"In the Fullness... Blessing of Christ."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, and empathy.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask for the grace to be open to receiving the holy family in my heart in preparation for the birth of a new heaven and a new earth.  May my thoughts, words, and actions proclaim justice, kindness, and humility.


Romans 15:22-29
22 This is the reason that I have so often been hindered from coming to you. 23But now, with no further place for me in these regions, I desire, as I have for many years, to come to you 24when I go to Spain. For I do hope to see you on my journey and to be sent on by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a little while. 25At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem in a ministry to the saints; 26for Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to share their resources with the poor among the saints at Jerusalem. 27They were pleased to do this, and indeed they owe it to them; for if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material things. 28So, when I have completed this, and have delivered to them what has been collected, I will set out by way of you to Spain; 29and I know that when I come to you, I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ.


1) "...hope to see you;" "...sent on by you;" "...enjoyed your company;" "...spiritual blessings;" "...material things;" "...the fullness of the blessing of Christ;" "...


2) Paul is sharing long term plans with the Romans, a mission to Spain after he has returned to Jerusalem with the offering he has collected in Greece.  No doubt implying that the Romans should also consider an offering to the Jerusalem church.  He's trying to set up good relations at home before he embarks on what would be a dangerous, far reaching adventure.  Of course, it doesn't come to pass.  He will be stopped at Rome.  But in this moment, as he writes this letter what an adventure he is about.  He has really surrendered everything to sharing the Gospel as far and as wide as possible.  I have mixed feelings about "far and wide."  How deeply held is the gospel in these communities?  How strong are the communities and the relationships between the communities as he leaves?  Would it not have been better to remain in one place and forge deeper relationships?  But that clearly was never Paul's calling.  He migrated back and forth across the Empire.  Did he ever go beyond the Roman Empire?  I feel a sadness for Paul, moving about as he did.  There were people who traveled with him, I suppose, I think he seldom traveled alone and he often had contacts long before he arrived at any one location.  I actually feel the longing to grow deeper roots after 15 years of relative itinerancy. 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  to trust the "Adventure" we are on, even if it fails.  Whether we live or whether we die, we belong to Christ for Christ is Lord of both the dead and the living. 


"Holy One, bless all our journeys."


Breathprayer: "in the fullness... blessing of Christ."



No comments:

Post a Comment