Search This Blog

Thursday 1 March 2018

"Live by the Spirit... Belong to Christ."


I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, and empathy. I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance. I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.

Galatians 5:22-26
22 By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. 24And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, competing against one another, envying one another.

1) "...live by the spirit;" "...guided by the spirit;" "...fruit of the spirit;" "...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control;" "...those who belong to Christ;" "...live by the Spirit;" "...belong to Christ;"

2) Do we behave as though we belong to Christ? I can give a definite maybe. We do not behave as though we belong to Christ when we become conceited, compete against one another, or envy one another. And there was the "bad list" yesterday of behaviours that do not belong to the Spirit or Christ. I ask daily to manifest the fruit of the spirit listed in this passage. Here in my blog as well as at home in my morning pages. Does asking/praying to bear these fruit manifest them? Once again, I can give a definite maybe. My giving is at an all time high financially. I feel my anger flares less often, especially I observe this in traffic and walking. How's my food? diet? exercise? Do I experience the peace I want? Am I in the bow resting with Jesus, or am I getting tossed about on the storm with the disciples? Honestly, I think I'm experiencing more equilibrium now than I have experienced, though I am still quite able to be knocked about... especially by certain individuals... its always the same individuals... Two thoughts come at the same time... "I should pray more for peace" and "Wait, I use the word 'peace' every day for my 20 minutes of centering prayer!" Maybe I need to focus on receptivity... especially around equanimity and peace.

3) What is the invitation in all this? To be more receptive of equanimity and peace.

"Holy One, I ask to be more receptive of the peace and equanimity you offer in your great abundance. Help me to let go of the self-importance and righteousness that justify my excitation when I feel 'offended' and needing to defend what is 'right'.  In all things for which I pray, help me to be present to the ways in which I belong to Christ and the Holy Spirit."

Breathprayer: "Live by the spirit... belong to Christ."


No comments:

Post a Comment